Science communications consultant, copywriter, trainee executive coach
I’m a qualified and experienced senior communications professional with 18 years’ experience managing communications for science and innovation.
After growing up on the family farm, I shipped myself off to university to study medical microbiology. Alongside my lab work, I quickly discovered a passion for writing about science for lots of different audiences, and getting involved in schools outreach.
The majority of my career has since involved managing communications, public engagement and event programmes for some of the UK’s scientific powerhouses, including the British Science Association, UK Research and Innovation, Informa Plc, and the University of Oxford.
To date, my highlights have been:
- designing and delivering National Science & Engineering Week for several years – the UK’s biggest annual celebration of science and engineering,
- leading communications for a UK Government priority trial of Covid-19 treatments,
- writing a whole host of research press releases and achieving national and international media coverage, including the Guardian, BBC, The Times, Daily Mail, and BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme, to name a few,
- co-authoring two peer-reviewed research papers about stakeholder engagement with research,
- working to professionalise and embed communications as a strategic management function and recruiting and supporting specialist teams,
- supporting research and innovation that has, and still is, making a massive difference to people’s lives!
Applying best practice is of paramount importance to me. I have two postgraduate diplomas in science communication and public relations and keep up my CPD with the Chartered Institute of Public Relations.
In 2023, I plan to offer executive coaching to broaden how I help individuals and organisations to unlock their potential to succeed.
When I’m not working…
I love spending time in the countryside with my husband and our Welsh Terrier, Bradley. We’re usually found either up a mountain or exploring the beautiful coastline near our home in West Wales.
I also enjoy reading, gardening and amateur photography (wonky photos at best!).
Applying years of experience working with complex topics and engaging audiences with new ways of thinking and doing, I enable my clients to achieve their goals through high-quality, trustworthy and strategic communications and engagement.
I’m a writer at heart, and like any good story, I believe that communications and public relations activities are most effective when they’re delivered with their audience firmly in mind.
Having mainly worked in the not-for-profit sector, I’m driven by the purpose of supporting organisations that work to make a positive difference to society and our planet.
While I’m lead communications consultant and an experienced writer, communications is a very broad church. So, like any specialist, I know my strengths and limitations.
Where necessary for your project, I can pull together a team of skilled associates to provide specialist input and technical delivery for:
- graphic design,
- website development,
- video and media production,
- … and photography!